Today’s guest is Tom Root, a Managing Partner of Zingerman’s Mail Order. Tom and I delve into Zingerman’s fascinating background and how the company has used lean to make all kinds of improvements. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, we are thrilled to be collaborating with Zingerman’s in an upcoming Gemba Live! episode .
An MP3 version of this episode is available for download here.
AME 2015 International Conference
Thinking about attending this year’s conference, held October 19th-23rd in Cincinnati? Sign up here using promo code “GEMBA15” to receive 10% off your registration. Be sure to drop by the Gemba Academy booth to meet the team and get some free swag!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Tom’s background and how he first learned about lean (2:53)
- The quote that inspires Tom (5:02)
- The story behind Zingerman’s (5:03)
- How the mail order component developed (7:42)
- How the company adapts staffing-wise to their seasonality (11:17)
- The hiring process at Zingerman’s (13:51)
- All about their production leveling system (19:04)
- What Tom and Zingerman’s are struggling with (25:37)
- How to learn more about Zingerman’s (30:01)
- What “Respect for People” means to Tom (31:55)
- The best advice Tom has ever received (35:54)
- Tom’s personal productivity habit (36:47)
- What has surprised Tom in the last year (38:41)
- What Tom does to recharge and refocus (39:05)
- The skill Tom feels he needs to improve (40:10)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- AME 2015 International Conference
- Tom’s Email
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
The easiest way for iPhone users to listen to the show is via the free, and incredible, Podcast app.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is definitely Android friendly.
What Do You Think?
What about the Zingerman’s story resonates with you?