Press the play button above to listen to the episode. If you’re reading this via email or RSS click the image below to listen to the episode.
Today’s guest is Jeff Miller, the Chairman of the Global Best Practices Group for Toyota Financial Services. A long-time Gemba Academy customer, my favorite thing about Jeff is his humility. Despite the prestige that comes with a job at Toyota, he’s always trying to improve.
In this episode, Jeff and I zone in on how and why continuous improvement practices are so effective in an office environment. We also discuss the role that the traditional Japanese lingo plays in the North American Toyota headquarters.
Visit Us at the AME Conference This November & Save 10% on Registration!
If you plan to attend the upcoming AME conference November 10-14 be sure to stop by the Gemba Academy booth to say hello.
While I’m definitely biased I think you’ll find we give away some of the coolest “swag” at the conference!
We also plan to host an after hours “networking” event on Tuesday evening… free food and drinks! More details to come on this.
Finally, if you haven’t registered for the conference and plan to be sure to use the coupon code GEMBA10 in order to save 10%.
AME is definitely our favorite conference to attend so we hope to see you there!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Jeff’s background, including his now 23 years at Toyota (4:11)
- Why “best practices” immediately become standards (6:20)
- The quote that most inspires Jeff (8:29)
- How Toyota’s continuous improvement principles apply to their offices (10:17)
- A concrete example of lean in the Toyota mailroom (12:30)
- Why all of the Japanese terminology isn’t an issue (17:53)
- The challenges Jeff faces in regards to Toyota associates (18:53)
- How online training has helped Toyota (20:32)
- What was holding Jeff back at the beginning of his lean journey (23:36)
- The best advice Jeff has ever received…you’ll be surprised! (26:02)
- Jeff’s personal productivity habit (28:33)
- Jeff’s final words of wisdom (38:00)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Right Click to Download a Written Transcript in PDF Format
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- AME (Use Discount Code GEMBA10 to save 10% on upcoming conference in November 2014)
- Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work and Align Leadership for Organizational Transformation
- The Outstanding Organization: Generate Business Results by Eliminating Chaos and Building the Foundation for Everyday Excellence
- The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room
- Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery (2nd Edition) (Voices That Matter)
- How to Deliver a TED Talk: Secrets of the World’s Most Inspiring Presentations, revised and expanded new edition, with a foreword by Richard St. John and an afterword by Simon Sinek
- Email: Jeff_Miller@Toyota.com
Download a Free Audio Book
And if you’ve never listened to an audio book today is your lucky day since you’re able to download a free audio book over at our favorite audio book provider – Audible.
Please note you will need to sign up, which includes providing your credit card, but if you’re not happy with the service you can easily cancel the subscription after downloading your free audio book before your free trial expires.
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
Full Written Transcript
What Do You Think?
In what ways does lean apply to the factory floor AND the office environment?