Visual Management Example: TPM Board

Here is a short video clip captured during the taping of a kaizen event for Gemba Academy’s “The Kaizen Way” course.

In this clip Mike Wroblewski, of Gemba Consulting and Got Boondoggle, explains how a simple board is used to track maintenance activities on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

What do you think of this visual control?  Can you see something like this working for your organization?

Note: If you are reading this via RSS or email you’ll likely need to click through to the website.  Once there, click the arrow in the middle of the video player to start the video.

8 Comments

1. Tim McMahon

October 22, 2010 - 9:29 am

Great Idea. Thanks for sharing. I see an aplication for this approach in our layered audit system which has daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly checks.

2. Pierre

October 23, 2010 - 1:51 am

Damn simple and really visual.
    The discipline on the shop floor with such a system needs to be well established to get the best out of it. Does such a system work well for a plant newly introduced to the lean way ? What do you think?

3. Ron Pereira

October 23, 2010 - 11:35 am

Hi Pierre, I definitely think this would work… but you, of course, need to have the discipline to use the board so it doesn’t become a dust collector.

4. Charles

October 24, 2010 - 3:43 pm

Hey Pierre, WOW…That is amazing but the only thing is I don’t have an organization yet so my question is how can I apply this to my personal life. We sometimes over complicate things when it comes to scheduling and organizing and I think this would be perfect. I’m studying Stephen Covey as of this post and trying to implement some of his teaches but he is a technical guy although he claims he isn’t lol.

Thanx

5. Mark R Hamel

October 25, 2010 - 3:13 pm

Hi Ron,

I’ve used this type of visual control for TPM and 5S activities. It’s very simple and powerful.

You may want to consider have some sort of label underneath each card so that you’ll be able to discern if/when a card gets misplaced. I noticed there were a few empty hooks on the board – is that normal or abnormal?

In any event, I got to meet Mike Wroblewski at the NE Shingo prize last week. Great guy!

6. Jon Miller

November 1, 2010 - 6:48 pm

Great short video lesson Ron. Good to be on the side of the firewall where I can view your site again…

7. John T Bushling

November 4, 2010 - 3:06 pm

Doesn’t get simpler. Didn’t really need explaination. Great job!