Today’s guest is our own Sales & Marketing Director, Steve Kane.
Prior to joining us at Gemba Academy, Steve served as Vice President of Operations at Specialty Silicone Fabricators. With many years of real – hands on – lean experience, Steve has lots of lessons to share.
In this episode, Steve and Ron explore the topic of autonomous teams. Specifically, Steve shares how to develop people through autonomy and why doing so can revolutionize any business no matter the industry.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Steve’s career background… think motorcycles! (02:24)
- Steve’s role at Specialty Silicone Fabricators (4:00)
- The quote that inspires Steve (5:16)
- What working at SSF was like before implementing autonomous teams (6:40)
- The definition of autonomous teams (10:10)
- How Steve learned about autonomous teams (11:58)
- The bold method Steve used to implement autonomous teams at SSF’s Michigan plant (16:40)
- Some of the challenges SSF faced those first weeks after implementation (22:54)
- How Steve brought this same concept back to the Paso Robles plant (31:30)
- What Steve would’ve done differently (33:56)
- How to learn more about autonomous teams (38:08)
- Steve’s definition of “Respect for People” (39:42)
- Steve’s definition of a Kaizen Culture (41:37)
- The best advice Steve has ever received (42:57)
- Steve’s personal productivity habit (43:28)
- Steve’s answer to the new lean leadership scenario (45:00)
- Steve’s final words of wisdom (47:57)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Right Click to Download a Written Transcript in PDF Format
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- Specialty Silicone Fabricators
- Email: Steve@gembaacademy.com
Download a Free Audio Book
And if you’ve never listened to an audio book today is your lucky day since you’re able to download a free audio book over at our favorite audio book provider – Audible.
Please note you will need to sign up, which includes providing your credit card, but if you’re not happy with the service you can easily cancel the subscription after downloading your free audio book before your free trial expires.
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
Full Written Transcript
What Do You Think?
Have you ever been a part of an organization that utilizes autonomous teams? Did you feel it was effective? Why or why not?