Press the play button above to listen to the episode. If you’re reading this via email or RSS click the image below to listen to the episode.
Today’s guest wears many hats. Michael Bremer is a blogger, author, and President of the Cumberland Group. He is also an AME volunteer and the Co-Managing Director of the Chicagoland Lean Enterprise Consortium Group.
In this episode we explore why Gemba Walks matter and how to make the most of them. Hopefully Michael’s advice will take your Gemba Walks to the next level.
To hear the podcast just press the “Play” button at the top of this post. An MP3 version is also available for download here and a downloadable PDF transcript of the interview will be available soon.
Visit Us at the AME Conference This November & Save 10% on Registration!
If you plan to attend the upcoming AME conference November 10-14 be sure to stop by the Gemba Academy booth to say hello.
While I’m definitely biased I think you’ll find we give away some of the coolest “swag” at the conference!
We also plan to host an after hours “networking” event on Tuesday evening… free food and drinks! More details to come on this.
Finally, if you haven’t registered for the conference and plan to be sure to use the coupon code GEMBA10 in order to save 10%.
AME is definitely our favorite conference to attend so we hope to see you there!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Michael’s background and how he came to learn about lean (3:32)
- The two quotes that inspire Michael (8:55)
- Michael’s definition of a Gemba Walk (11:25)
- Why you should do them (13:02)
- The problems people encounter during them (15:13)
- The three steps to a successful Gemba Walk (16:51)
- Why there should always be standard work for your Gemba Walks (21:38)
- Roughly how long your walks should be and how often you should do them (24:48)
- What “Respect for People” means to Michael (31:43)
- What comes to mind when Michael hears “Kaizen Culture” (36:44)
- The best advice Michael has ever received (38:04)
- Michael’s favorite personal productivity habit (39:54)
- Michael’s final words of wisdom (51:45)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- AME (Use Discount Code GEMBA10 to save 10% on upcoming conference in November 2014)
- The Chicagoland Lean Enterprise Consortium
- The Cumberland Group
- The High-Velocity Edge: How Market Leaders Leverage Operational Excellence to Beat the Competition
- How to Do a Gemba Walk
- Long Walk to Freedom: The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela
- Michael’s LinkedIn
- Michael’s Twitter
Download a Free Audio Book
And if you’ve never listened to an audio book today is your lucky day since you’re able to download a free audio book over at our favorite audio book provider – Audible.
Please note you will need to sign up, which includes providing your credit card, but if you’re not happy with the service you can easily cancel the subscription after downloading your free audio book before your free trial expires.
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
Full Written Transcript
What Do You Think?
How do you do your Gemba Walks? What works for you and what doesn’t?