Today’s guest is Patrick Graupp, Senior Master Trainer at the TWI Institute. Patrick gave us an overview of TWI, or Training Within Industry, including a brief breakdown of the three main components. TWI is a very powerful tool, and this episode contains a lot of great information on how to use it. An MP3 version of this episode is available for download here.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Patrick’s background and how he learned about continuous improvement (4:24)
- The quote that inspires Patrick (6:19)
- The history of TWI and what it’s all about (7:36)
- What Deming thought of TWI (11:04)
- About the Job Instruction component (12:03)
- About the Job Relations component (14:16)
- About the Job Methods component (14:59)
- Why you should avoid too much detail in Job Instruction (15:53)
- An example of the power of Job Instruction (18:18)
- How TWI teaches frontline management skills (23:54)
- What the TWI Institute offers (25:39)
- What “Respect for People” means to Patrick (28:30)
- The best advice Patrick has ever received (31:25)
- Patrick’s personal productivity habit (33:42)
- What has surprised Patrick in the last year (35:26)
- How Patrick recharges and refocuses (39:30)
- The knowledge or skill area Patrick feels he needs to improve (41:33)
- Patrick’s final words of wisdom (43:15)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- The TWI Institute
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
The easiest way for iPhone users to listen to the show is via the free, and incredible, Podcast app.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is definitely Android friendly.
What Do You Think?
Do you and/or your organization use TWI? How has it helped?