This week’s guest is Willy Bustillos, a Food Service Manager who uses lean principles to improve high school cafeterias. Willy explained what it’s like applying lean in such an untraditional setting, including some of the challenges involved. An MP3 version of this episode is available for download here.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- The quote that inspires Willy (2:19)
- Willy’s background (3:12)
- His work with high schools (4:57)
- The nature of most cafeterias (8:04)
- How Willy got into this line of work (8:56)
- The resistance and how they overcame it (12:12)
- An example (13:54)
- Some of the lean tools involved (15:42)
- Balancing nutrition with the students’ preferences (18:50)
- What Willy is up to these days (19:52)
- Where he is at with kata (21:50)
- Willy’s advice for anyone trying to implement lean in an untraditional setting (24:16)
- What “Respect for People” means to Willy (25:48)
- The best advice he’s ever received (26:59)
- What Willy is most proud of as it relates to lean (28:01)
- Willy’s final words of wisdom (33:31)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- The E-Myth
- Willy on LinkedIn
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
The easiest way for iPhone users to listen to the show is via the free, and incredible, Podcast app.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is definitely Android friendly.
What Do You Think?
What other unusual settings can lean be used in?