Here are some ways to use Lean and Six Sigma methods away from the office.
- Sort clothes according to color and place them into different bins eliminating the need to sort. When the bin is full wash those clothes. Don’t wait for all the bins to fill up. That would be so mass production.
- Organize kitchen cabinets in such a way as to minimize walking to and from dishwasher. Also, ensure commonly used items (cups, silverware, etc.) are close to each other. This way you eliminate excess motion.
- Place socket protectors so children can’t put their fingers in. This is perhaps the most important form of error proofing you will ever do.
- Similar to number 3, kid proof cabinets so your kiddos can’t get into stuff they shouldn’t be getting into to.
- Place a few dozen plastic cups throughout yard when sprinklers are running so you can determine if some zones are being over-watered / under-watered. Adjust times accordingly thus reducing this variation. Perhaps your grass will be greener and water bill cheaper.
- 5S your closets and most importantly your garage (I need help with my garage if anyone is bored).
How many more can you think of?