This week’s guests are Tom and Mary Poppendieck. Tom and Mary discussed the role that lean plays in software development, versus in more traditional operational contexts. An MP3 version of this episode is available for download here.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- The quote that inspires Tom and Mary (2:16)
- Their background (3:37)
- Lean in a development environment (7:24)
- An example problem (9:40)
- How one piece flow applies to software development (13:41)
- About defects (14:21)
- The role of Artificial Intelligence (18:46)
- Practicing lean in software (23:50)
- What “Respect for People” means to them (27:16)
- The best advice Mary has ever received (29:25)
- What Tom is most proud of as it relates to lean (30:28)
- Their book recommendations (31:20)
- Final words of wisdom (33:45)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- Gemba Academy Kata Resources
- Lean Software Development
- Seat at the Table by Mark Schwartz
- Lean Essays
- Tom and Mary’s Website
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
The easiest way for iPhone users to listen to the show is via the free, and incredible, Podcast app.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is definitely Android friendly.
What Do You Think?
Have you ever practiced lean in a development context? How was it different?