Press the play button above to listen to the episode. If you’re reading this via email or RSS click the image below to listen to the episode.
Today’s guest is David Meier. David has an impressive background as an author and former Toyota group leader. These days he runs his own consulting practice, helping other companies implement lean transformations.
An MP3 version is also available for download here.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- David’s background at Toyota (3:08)
- What David’s consulting practice offers (4:06)
- The quote that inspires David (5:22)
- What David’s learning experience at Toyota was like (6:45)
- The balance of philosophy and practical tools at Toyota (8:26)
- David’s experience with the intensity of some Japanese Senseis (10:44)
- What David noticed at other companies after leaving Toyota (13:13)
- A common misconception people have about Toyota (15:09)
- David’s take on Leader Standard Work (20:01)
- How leaders can incorporate lean into the company’s strategic plan (23:27)
- What “Respect for People” means to David (26:03)
- The best advice David has ever heard (28:31)
- David’s personal productivity habit (29:28)
- David’s final words of wisdom (40:46)
- Right Click to Download this Podcast as an MP3
- Download a Free Audio Book at Audible.com
- Gemba Academy LinkedIn Group
- The Toyota Way Fieldbook
- Toyota Talent: Developing Your People the Toyota Way
- Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
- Lean Associates
Subscribe & Never Miss New Episodes!
If you enjoyed this podcast please be sure to subscribe on iTunes. Once you’re a subscriber all new episodes will be downloaded to your iTunes account and smartphone.
The easiest way for iPhone users to listen to the show is via the free, and incredible, Podcast app.
You can also subscribe via Stitcher which is definitely Android friendly.
What Do You Think?
What is the lean culture like at your organization? Is it more western or are the traditional Japanese values more apparent? How so?