The Lean Enterprise Institute in cooperation with Gemba Academy has produced a free online 70-minute video discussion among Lean gurus and thought leaders James Womack, Dan Jones and John Shook. The 11 videos cover a range of themes including:
1. Calling it Lean: If they could turn back time, would they still call it “lean”?
2. Learning to See: The discussion about the word “lean” continues, especially their hesitation to introduce new tools such as value stream mapping.
3. Lean Management Behaviors: Early struggles to find the correct balance between management systems and tools, the humanists and the technocrats, and discussion of the fundamental importance of practice.
4. Starting with Purpose: The importance for Lean of being able to state a purpose for an organization, and then creating alignment to support that purpose.
5. Lean Healthcare: Why is Lean being received so well within the healthcare community? What is Lean’s potential to radically change the entire industry?
6. Lean Government: Lean seems to thrive and develop in a crisis, therefore government may be ripe for lean thinking!
7. The Great Stagnation: The impact of the recession, which Womack calls “the great stagnation,” on lean thinking.
8. Lean Startups: The Lean Startup movement – a real thing or just a passing fad?
9. Lean NGOs: The rapid growth of lean within NGOs (non-government organizations) especially with operations providing aid to Africa, demonstrating the potential of Lean to change people’s lives.
10. Lean Shoring: How lean is impacting offshore outsourcing and creating the opportunity for re-shoring (or “lean shoring”).
11. Final Thoughts: Where is Lean headed over the next 25 years?
Thanks on behalf of the Lean community for your continuing generosity in sharing your time and insights!
Watch the lean thought leader discussion videos.